[FSFLA] Hiperbola: A fully free, stable, secure, simple, lightweight and long-term distribution

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno en openmailbox.org
Lun Mayo 29 21:14:52 UTC 2017

First I must thank you very much for bringing this discussion to FSFLA,
because most people take for granted that some bugs on free/libre
software are "feautures", but this ins't always the case.

The paragraph above might seem disconnected from this discussion, but I
ask you to please read on, so you can understand it:

I take as a starting point what you said recently: "Giving the user
options and the right information to make appropriate decisions is not
subjugate the user to the developer", this indeed something we can work
with, and in fact there is already documentation regarding tools to make
such decisions (/e.g./: lsmod, insmod, rmmod, modinfo, modprobe, various
package managers which can accept packages made for them). Morever,
free/libre system distributions mustn't be designed to say "you *cannot*
install this because it's not free/libre", they must only not foster
such non-free software (this is done by not recommending, installing,
sharing, selling, teaching non-free software to the users). Note on the
use of "cannot" instead of "can't".

Last, but not less important: The kernels that are passed through the
GNU Linux-libre scripts have a *bug* in which the kernel blocks loading
of non-free firmware even after the installation of the kernel, for more
information contact Alexandre Oliva (he's here in this list), or see
[[http://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/blogs/lxo/2013-11-08-linux-libre-interview-by-bruce-byfield.en.html]]
(under "Is there anything that the project wants to do that it can't do
now? In general, what are the future plans for the project?"), [[https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00734.html]].

In summary, it's not meant to harden/censor the installation of non-free
software by the users, because their particular decisions is for them
for the taking, but it's not meant to make it easy also.