GNU Linux-libre 6.3-gnu

Freedo freedo at linux-libre.fsfla.org
Mon Apr 24 00:45:43 UTC 2023

*Tap* *tap*  Phhh...  Is this mic on?  Can you hear me?

'k, cool.

*checks notes*

Hey, everyone!  Good evening!

This is Freedo.  My tutors, Jason and Alex, say I'm now old enough to be
on social media, so I got this email address and a Mastodon account.
This is so exciting!

I'm going to be in charge of tonight's announcement.
It's my first one, so please wish me good luck!

Uhheem...

GNU Linux-libre 6.3-gnu is out!

- git://linux-libre.fsfla.org/releases.git/
  tags {scripts,sources,logs}/v6.3-gnu

-- cleaning-up scripts

(No changes since rc6, the first 6.3-gnu rc)

-- cleaned-up sources

-- cleaning-up logs

--- including tarball signatures

- https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/releases/6.3-gnu/

-- compressed tarballs

-- incremental patches

- RPMFreedom (.rpm) binaries
  https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/rpmfreedom/

- Freesh (.deb) binaries
  https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/freesh/

(Tutor Jason is pushing them out just now.)

- updated GPG key
  https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/SIGNING-KEY.freedo

(Look, ma, I've got a GPG id too!)

# Artwork

Continuing with the usual "cleaning" theme for Linux-libre releases,
there's new artwork featuring me and my cute rubber gnu bath toy.
It's posted on my home page, check it out!
https://linux-libre.fsfla.org/~freedo/#news

# Cleaning-up changes

Here are the relevant changes made to the cleaning-up scripts since the
previous announcement posted by tutor Alex:

- Adjusted for changes in the blob-loading code all over amdgpu, in
R-Car xHCI, and in q6v5 pas.

(Yuck, blobs!  Disgusting!)

- Adjusted for the un-deprecation of sp8870 and av7110 drivers, as well
as those for Budget dvb cards.

- Dropped cleaning up of MGA, R128, tm6000, cpia2, and r8188eu drivers,
removed upstream.

(It's always nice to drop blob-loading drivers!)

- Cleaned up new blob-loading drivers for ath12k, aw88395 and peb2466.

(Oh, no!, more troublesome drivers!)

- Cleaned up new devicetree files for aarch64 qcom devices.

(They contained such ugly words as blob names.  How unprofessional!)

- Included the fix for the deblobbed i915 video driver, first released
in 6.2.6-gnu.  The fix was submitted but declined upstream.

(They also warned of more trouble ahead in i915.)

- Adjusted for reformatting of documentation files that recommended blobs.

- Adjusted for movement of accelerator cards to drivers/accel/.

- Adjusted for some wording changes in upstream build scripts.

- BPF precompiled iterator files now have big- and little-endian
versions, built from the same shipped sources.

That was all, everyone.

For fresh news about GNU Linux-libre, follow me in the Fediverse.
https://mastodon.social/@freedo

My tutors are also on IRC: #gnu-linux-libre on libera.chat.

*waves wing*

# Rolling credits

(well, sort of :-)

Be Free! with GNU Linux-libre.

What is GNU Linux-libre?
------------------------

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free version of the kernel Linux (see below),
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/

  If you are the author of an awesome program and want to join us in
  writing Free (libre) Software, please consider making it an official
  GNU program and become a GNU Maintainer.  You can find instructions
  on how to do so at https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.  We look
  forward to hacking with you! :)

What is Linux?

  Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel [...]

(snipped from Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst)

--
Freedo, GNU Linux-libre's Mascot and Spokespenguin