cannot boot with linux-libre>=5.7, amdgpu and cryptsetup

edgar at openmail.cc edgar at openmail.cc
Mon Jul 13 02:31:03 UTC 2020

Hello.

My computer has an AMD Ryzen 2500 with a Raven Ridge GPU (Vega 8). Since
linux-libre version 5.7.2, I have not been able to boot. I am still able
to do it with 5.6.12.

In the past (including 5.6.12), the screen would go blank (completely
dark) and I would be able to type-in my password (without seeing
anything on the screen) to unlock the hard-drive (LVM on cryptsetup).
Now, the keyboard is unresponsive, and I never get to see my operating
system (Parabola GNU/Linux).

I am afraid that I won't be able to use my system at some point at this
rate. My ability to use linux-libre with this computer is worse every
year (I understand that this may have to do with non-free firmware and
drivers). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My specs:

- OS :: Parabola GNU/Linux (pacman-based) with OpenRC

- Processor ::

   Architecture:                    x86_64
   CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
   Byte Order:                      Little Endian
   Address sizes:                   43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
   CPU(s):                          8
   On-line CPU(s) list:             0-7
   Thread(s) per core:              2
   Core(s) per socket:              4
   Socket(s):                       1
   NUMA node(s):                    1
   Vendor ID:                       AuthenticAMD
   CPU family:                      23
   Model:                           17
   Model name:                      AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega
Mobile Gfx
   Stepping:                        0
   Frequency boost:                 enabled
   CPU MHz:                         1371.397
   CPU max MHz:                     2000.0000
   CPU min MHz:                     1600.0000
   BogoMIPS:                        3992.73
   Virtualization:                  AMD-V
   L1d cache:                       128 KiB
   L1i cache:                       256 KiB
   L2 cache:                        2 MiB
   L3 cache:                        4 MiB
   NUMA node0 CPU(s):               0-7
   Vulnerability Itlb multihit:     Not affected
   Vulnerability L1tf:              Not affected
   Vulnerability Mds:               Not affected
   Vulnerability Meltdown:          Not affected
   Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass
disabled
   Vulnerability Spectre v1:        Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers
and __user pointer sanitization
   Vulnerability Spectre v2:        Mitigation; Full AMD retpoline, STIBP
disabled, RSB filling
   Vulnerability Tsx async abort:   Not affected
   Flags:                           fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8
apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht
syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl
nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma
cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm
cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
osvw skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc
mwaitx cpb hw_pstate sme ssbd sev vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2
rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves clzero
irperf xsaveerptr arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean
flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload
vgif overflow_recov succor smca

- UEFI

- Boot loader :: GRUB 2.04-2 (2:2.04-2.par1)

- kernel line :: (replace <values>)
   linux	/vmlinuz-linux-libre root=/dev/mapper/<LVM-vol1> rw
cryptdevice=/dev/<partition>:<LVM grp name> resume=/dev/<LVM grp
name>/lvswap spec_store_bypass_disable=on quiet splash
fbcon=font:TER16x32

   If I add =nomodeset=, I am able to partially see 2 or three lines of
the booting process. After that, the rest is lost, and I don't know how
far the process gets

- mkinitcpio.conf ::

   - MODULES=(amdgpu)

   - HOOKS=("base" "udev" "keyboard" "keymap" "autodetect" "modconf"
"block" "consolefont" "encrypt" "lvm2" "resume" "filesystems" "fsck"
"shutdown")

- cryptsetup :: 2.3.3-1

I would very much like to change my computer to something which respects
my freedom, but it's not like I am financially able to do that.

Can you please help me to boot with the newer versions of linux-libre?
Thanks.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse at vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!