[FSFLA-Traductores] February/07 newsletter (en=>es, pt, needed by February 1st)

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva en fsfla.org
Vie Ene 26 17:17:27 UTC 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, Adriano Rafael Gomes <adrianorg en gmail.com> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva escreveu:
>> Just like in C (int)x means convert x to integer, (Português):x is
>> meant as translate x to Portuguese ;-)

>> I thought it would be nice to have something to search for when
>> looking for bits to translate.

> I agree. Maybe /-/needs translation/-/?

Err...  (Português): was supposed to be it ;-)

>> What's missing now is some markup to indicate the paragraph was
>> translated but not revised.  It would be nice to have some revision
>> process in place, to avoid obvious mistakes, typos, etc.  Suggestions?

> (Revisar): should we use another cast?

Then it would be the same in pt and es, which could make life harder
for translators.

I've come to think that just leaving the language cast in place might
very well be enough.  Then, when someone who knows the original
language and one of the target languages searches for (lang), followed
by :, ?, =?, whatever, she'll find both pieces to revise and pieces to
translate.  If she's happy with a translation made by someone else,
she can remove the language cast.  If she translates a new piece, she
leaves the cast in place, changing at most the : to something like =?

Makes sense?

>> How is this table format working for translations?  I'm wondering if
>> it's as good as it seemed at first.

> IMHO, the "table format" is working. A little drawback is the table gets
> wider than the screen width. In the future we may have translations to
> other languages...

Yes, this is an unfortunate effect of having long URLs, wiki won't
break them.  I'd love suggestions on how to overcome this issue, but
they're not all that urgent.  I suspect we may be switching to another
wiki system soon, so we might as well wait a bit and solve the problem
only once.