NETGEAR WNA3100M (regression?)

a.reviewer1234 at yahoo.com a.reviewer1234 at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 00:40:36 UTC 2020

I am a moron. I figured out exactly what happened.
The device works perfectly fine on Parabola whether using OpenRC or systemd. There have also been no regressions with linux-libre.
I recently installed the "gnome" package group, to try out the GNOME DE. Once I decided to remove it, I ran "sudo pacman -Rns gnome". For those who don't use a pacman-based distro, this will uninstall the package (package group in this case), all the associated configuration files, and all unneeded dependencies (recursively) for those packages.
I completely forgot that networkmanager is part of the "gnome" package group, so in removing the package group, I inadvertently uninstalled networkmanager. I don't know why a vital system component is in an optional DE package group, but for some reason it is, and it was removed.
I can easily repair my system. I apologise for the bother.
Thank you for your reply, j.- Alan.

  On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 1:32 am, Jason Self<j at jxself.org> wrote:   On Fri, 22 May 2020 13:22:52 +0000 (UTC)
"a.reviewer1234 at yahoo.com" <a.reviewer1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I apologise if this is the incorrect mailing list to use.

It may be more appropriate to contact the Parabola project.

> My NETGEAR WNA3100M recently stopped working on linux-libre-hardened
> as shipped with Parabola

To be clear, did it ever work with Parabola or did it stop working when
you switched to Parabola? I'm not clear on that.

The latter message about firmware makes me think that a non-free
firmware is probably needed to make the device work. That would
probably explain why it does not.