[GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Mon Jan 22 15:05:08 UTC 2018

Regarding devices that rely on non-free fw but that could also work
"without firmware"... I think that most likely does not exist.

There are devices that have the fw loaded into RAM and thus require an
install at every power up otherwise they will simply not work.
But there are also devices that have factory installed firmware stored in
permanent ROM memory and then provide a firmware update mechanism that can
be used to install newer versions of the fw (with bugfixes perhaps, but
could also include new anti-features and likely new bugs as well). In this
case, you can use the old in-ROM firmware or the new firmware provided by
the kernel.

Having said that, I have the impression that some people actually refer to
running the in-ROM factory fw whey they say the device may run "without a
firmware", which is surely a misleading way of expressing what actually
happens.