Inaccurate deblobbing breaks rtl8192ce

Lobachevskii Vitalii silverunicorn2011 at yandex.ru
Fri Aug 26 11:59:43 UTC 2016

Hello,

About “surprising” the driver: -EINVAL means that firmware load
machinery is absent, while the rtl8192ce driver (as well as many others)
explicitly depend on it (select FW_LOADER), so that’s not possible in
any correct kernel configuration.

Anyway, driver maintainers answered. Well, I expected such answer. And
I’m afraid they’re right in that the device runs some firmware anyway;
that may be the firmware included on production or last loaded (or maybe
EFI loads it on boot? well, don’t know).

Actually, for a long time I wanted to ask: what’s the real point to
remove firmware from the kernel? That’s not security: complex devices
can’t work without a firmware, so either they don’t work at all or have
some sort of built-in firmware, that may pose all the same security
risks; that’s not the freedom, as unchangeable program on disk isn’t any
worse than unchangeable program in ROM; so what?

By the way, I tried the approach with callback calling, it seems it
doesn’t break anything but neither lets this driver (unaltered) to work.
And the modified driver works somewhat, often crashing the program that
tries to perform scan (tested wpa_supplicant and iw, both crash with
SEGFAULT). It seems that depends on the device state on boot/resume,
which can be different for some reason.

--
Lobachevskii Vitalii  https://github.com/numberZero