What I belive a Linux-libre bug (intel wifi constant nag)

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Sat Nov 21 04:23:48 UTC 2015

On Nov 20, 2015, Mikko Viinamäki <t8mf4nu6lizp at canaglie.net> wrote:

> On 11/20/2015 05:28 AM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> It would be nice to check in the syslog whether there are
>> wpa_supplicant errors after each block of kernel errors. This would
>> confirm my theory.

> Is this the smoking gun? https://trisquel.info/en/issues/15696#comment-82419

Not quite.  There's only one block of requests there.  Although that's
compatible with the theory, it doesn't confirm that the wpa_supplicant
errors occur after every block of a certain number of kernel errors,
which would in turn suggest that the retries are initiated by
wpa_supplicant rather than by the kernel.  Even that wouldn't be a
smoking gun, though; it might still be possible that some part of the
kernel I haven't looked at initiated each block of errors and then
signaled wpa_supplicant, without the latter having requested for a
retry.  But that's not how kernel and wpa_supplicant are supposed to
work; so the theory that the latter initiates the retries makes a lot
more sense to me.

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer