What I belive a Linux-libre bug (intel wifi constant nag)

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Fri Nov 20 03:28:50 UTC 2015

On Oct 30, 2015, Mikko Viinamäki <t8mf4nu6lizp at canaglie.net> wrote:

> Hi there! Looks like there is a problem with intel wifi that causes
> constant error messages about missing firmware. This makes the machine
> slow and fills disks up when it gets logged. I believe the kernel in
> Trisquel 7 is Linux-libre 3.13.

This seems to me more like a wpa_supplicant issue, in which it keeps
trying to activate the network card over and over, triggering the error
in each attempt.

I don't see anything in the iwlwifi driver that would repeat on its own
the attempt to load the firmware once it fails.  I mean, it may try
multiple ucode_apis, but it will try each one only once, and if they all
fail, it will give up and unbind the device.

It would be nice to check in the syslog whether there are wpa_supplicant
errors after each block of kernel errors.  This would confirm my theory.

> https://trisquel.info/en/issues/15696 (messy as hell, sorry...)
> https://trisquel.info/en/issues/15897

> Thanks for working for freedom!

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer