Making the radeon driver work again

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sun Jul 19 21:03:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 22:06:38 -0300
Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:
> > So if integrating a way to do that automatically in linux-libre is
> > desirable, how would I have to do it:
> > - Trough sed/awk scripts that would break easily between releases ?
>
> This would probably be best.  Having to adjust changes between major
> releases is not unusual, and I'd prefer that over additional
> dependencies.
Ok, I'll try that.

> I see the patch you posted was for blob-ridden Linux; it would be
> preferrable to post patches for Linux-libre sources instead, so that,
> until we integrate these changes into the deblobbing proper, others
> could just apply the patch to our tarballs.  Thanks!
>
> > +#if 0
> >  	if (!dev_priv->me_fw || !dev_priv->pfp_fw) {
> >  		int err = r600_cp_init_microcode(dev_priv);
> >  		if (err) {
>
> Wouldn't we be better off just dropping the "return err;" or similar,
> on top of the changes we already make to these drivers?

Yes, the patch was never meant to be used as-is, instead it must be
reworked to do it correctly, and probably for all radeon GPUs.

The patch was just to test if it could work without the firmware. I
posted it as-is just to document what I did and to have a basis for
discussion.

Now I'll try to find the time to:
-> Work on a clean patch for linux-libre.
-> Make the deblob script do the same modification than the clean patch.

Denis.