Missing NONFREE dependencies

Dima Krasner dima at dimakrasner.com
Sat Aug 22 14:07:12 UTC 2015

Hello,

Today I took a look at my distro's kernel configuration and wondered why I had to disable all the non-functional kernel modules that depend on non-free firmware (which took hours to accomplish). I use 3.14.x with sources tarball provided by Linux-libre.

I took a look at the kconfig stuff and noticed there's no NONFREE dependency (!), so configuration options such as SND_RIPTIDE still appear in menuconfig.

It seems clean_kconfig() doesn't do anything, even when I call it from an interactive shell!

See lines 82 and 83 in deblob-3.14:

  have_check=:
  [ -x $check ] || check="/bin/sh $check"

and clean_kconfig (lines 172-174):
  if $have_check; then
    return
  fi

It seems : doesn't evaulate as false, as the code expects:

  a=:
  if $a; then echo fdfd; fi

The logic in deblob-4.1 looks right, though.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you,
Dima

--