A Fedora Copr reposiroty for kernel-libre ?

Sergio Durigan Junior sergiodj at sergiodj.net
Tue Apr 8 04:52:52 UTC 2014

On Sunday, April 06 2014, Alexandre Moine wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Alexandre,

I am not involved in the maintenance of the Linux-libre project, but I
would like to tell my opinion about this topic nevertheless.

> Fedora have now a place to build third party yum repositories. It's
> named Copr (it means "Cool Other Package Repositories"), and you can
> find it here: http://copr.fedoraproject.org . I don't know all the
> story, but, in my opinion, it's the right place to the kernel-libre
> package. Copr can make kernel-libre more "official", and more visible
> for the lambda fedora user.
>
> What do you think about that? I think kernel-libre, and other packages,
> meet the fedora packaging and licensing rules, so they meet also the
> Copr rules (here:
> https://fedorahosted.org/copr/wiki/UserDocs#WhatIcanbuildinCopr ).

Thanks for pointing that out.  I confess I didn't know about Copr, but
as far as I could see, it is kind of messy.  There are lots of
repositories there, and they get listed in a way that doesn't seem very
"organized", so to speak.  If Linux-libre/freed-ora had a repository
there, I bet I would find it much more difficult to see it in that list!

Anyway, what I would probably do in your case is to create a mirror
repository there, and see how things go.  If it proves to be much more
used than freed-ora itself, then it might be worth considering the
change.  But of course, this is Oliva's call :-).

Thanks,

--
Sergio