PCMCIA .cis files

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Jan 2 00:33:28 UTC 2011

    The PCMCIA driver gets from this file data on PCMCIA standards
    compatibility, voltage, I/O ports and IRQs it's supposed to use to talk
    to the device, in addition to name and type of card.

These files are very important in practice.  So we certainly don't
want to delete them if there is any way we can keep them.

One way we can keep the binary files is by adding the textual files.
That is certainly ok.

Maybe we can keep the binary files without adding the textual files.
I think it would be right to do that if the binary files are
just as good as the textual files for all development.

Are they?  Would you feel good about treating the binary files
as the source code, using them for all editing, and so on?
If so, they fit the definition of source code.

Another possibility is to separate all this from Linux,
so that distros would include it as a separate package.
Why should these files be included in Linux anyway?

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation