Patch to improve legacy kernel deblobbing

Rubén Rodríguez ruben at gnu.org
Fri May 28 19:06:16 UTC 2010

The original 2.6.24 deblob script, still used by gNewSense 2.2 and
Trisquel 2.2, leaves several non-free pieces in place. To avoid that I
modified one of the newer versions of the deblobber to be used on
older kernels:
http://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2009-September/000754.html

The attached patch is an update on that one, and should work with
deblob-2.6.32 and similar versions. It improves the path handling.

To fully clean 2.6.24 my method is to run the original deblobber
followed by deblob-2.6.31 with my patch and --force. It is the only way
I know to properly deblob legacy kernels, and the modifications are not
effective unless you run the deblobber with --force, so I think it
should be merged with the standard deblobber.

This method can also be used to deblob other sources, like
wireless-compat or the alsa driver pack.