documenting devices that require non-free firmware on Linux

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Fri Mar 5 23:33:14 UTC 2010

I'd like to start documenting the devices that require non-free
firmware in Linux. It is intended as a way to foster the development
of free firmwares for these devices by making information more easily
accessible and better organized. Here is a proposal of template for
wiki pages on that topic.
--Felipe Sanches

=Reference at LinuxLibre log=
(example:
 ATM_AMBASSADOR - Madge Ambassador, Collage PCI 155 Server
 drivers/atm/ambassador.c: disabled non-Free firmware-loading machinery
 drivers/atm/ambassador.c: removed blobs
 firmware/atmsar11.HEX: removed blobs
 firmware/Makefile: dropped firmware/atmsar11.fw
)

=What is the purpose of the device?=
(example:
 ATM Network card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_Transfer_Mode)
)

=Who needs it?=
(which computer models use this device or which niche users usually
buy such peripherals?)

=How critical it is to get free support for it?=
(Is it a very popular device that requires us to prioritize efforts?)

=What is(are) the processor architecture(s) of this device?=
Unknown.

=Who is working on a free firmware implementation?=
Nobody.

=Links to online documentation=
(i.e. datasheets, developer's guides, official or non-official
specifications, etc)

=Where are the non-free firmware images made available?=
(usually here we would want an url to the manufacturer's firmware
download webpage)

=What makes them non-free?=
(describe clearly the specific reasons for it being considered non-free)
*Source code is not available.

=What else do we know about this device?=
(any further info that might help the creation of free firmware for it)