Linux readme file

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Wed Dec 29 08:31:16 UTC 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, Rubén Rodríguez <ruben at gnu.org> wrote:

> The user lluvia at #trisquel just pointed me to the README file in the
> linux tree. It contains this description:

>   WHAT IS LINUX?

>   Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by
>   Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers
>   across the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification
>   compliance.

> I think the deblobber should replace the README with something better,
> describing what linux-libre and GNU are.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sorry that it took me so long to implement
it.  Here's what I've just added to deblob-2.6.37, in preparation for
the upcoming 2.6.37-libre (we can already deblob -rc8 into a clean,
working kernel, yay!)

grep -q Linux-libre README ||
clean_sed '
1,3 s,Linux kernel release.*kernel\.org.*,Linux-libre <http://linux-libre.fsfla.org>,
2,5 s,Linux version 2.6,Linux-libre,
1,20 s,\(operating system \)\?Unix,Unix kernel,
/WHAT IS LINUX/i\
WHAT IS Linux-libre?\
\
  Linux-libre is a Free version of Linux (see below), suitable for\
  use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free System Distributions.\
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/\
\
  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as\
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables\
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or\
  as part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to\
  avoid (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.\
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait\
\
  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.\
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008\
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.\
\
  Although the Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach\
  to cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components\
  that need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones,\
  we encouraged and support efforts towards doing so.\
\
  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out\
  of the the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater\
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more\
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.\
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/\

' README 'added blurb about Linux-libre'

Suggestions for improvement?