on naming the devils in the Linux-libre front page

Dmitry Samoyloff dsamoyloff at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 5 19:23:53 UTC 2009

В сообщении от Четверг 05 ноября 2009 21:29:26 автор Alexandre Oliva написал:
> On Oct 25, 2009, Nick <linux-libre-list at njw.me.uk> wrote:
> > P.S. Please could you change the reference to my gentoo ebuilds from
> > 'Genfree' ebuilds to 'Gentoo' ebuilds. Much as the (albeit strange)
> > pun is nice, it is quite confusing for new people who are looking to
> > see if a libre kernel is easily available for Gentoo.
>
> I see what you're getting at, and I can sympathize with it.
>
> When I first added that entry, I was still being very careful about not
> naming non-Free distros on that page.  Later on, I seem to have got
> distracted and ended up naming a couple of them.  Oops.
>
> Now, my inclination would be to adjust the entries that do, so that they
> don't, rather than removing the pun on Genfree, but I'd appreciate
> arguments based on the Free Software philosophy for or against either
> move.

I think it's OK to mention Gentoo (and other non-free distros) with a footnote
explaining that those distros do not meet GNU guidelines for free OS
distributions (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-
distribution-guidelines.html), thus their usage couldn't be recommended.

--
Regards, Dmitry Samoyloff