on naming the devils in the Linux-libre front page

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Thu Nov 5 18:29:26 UTC 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, Nick <linux-libre-list at njw.me.uk> wrote:

> P.S. Please could you change the reference to my gentoo ebuilds from
> 'Genfree' ebuilds to 'Gentoo' ebuilds. Much as the (albeit strange)
> pun is nice, it is quite confusing for new people who are looking to
> see if a libre kernel is easily available for Gentoo.

I see what you're getting at, and I can sympathize with it.

When I first added that entry, I was still being very careful about not
naming non-Free distros on that page.  Later on, I seem to have got
distracted and ended up naming a couple of them.  Oops.

Now, my inclination would be to adjust the entries that do, so that they
don't, rather than removing the pun on Genfree, but I'd appreciate
arguments based on the Free Software philosophy for or against either
move.

Thanks in advance,