linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote and -2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Wed Dec 16 20:40:24 UTC 2009

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2009, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva-3d8yaqT+vUfYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> It is now time to announce 2.6.32.1-libre and 2.6.31.8-libre2.
>
>> Corresponding gNewSense/mipsel (Lemote Yeeloong) [...]
>> are underway.
>
> They're now available from the apt repository at
>
> deb http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense metad main
>
> Once you set it up in sources.list, you'll be able to do:
>
> # apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote \
>                   linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote
>
> Now, beware: 2.6.32.* kernels require you to add machtype=8.9 in the
> boot command line in order to deal with lemote yeeloong laptops
> properly, as in, reporting battery, powering off, and probably more.

FYI for me, the 2.6.32.1-libre-lemote when combined with a backport of
network-manager 0.7 -
http://config.fsf.org/misc/yeeloong-n-m-backport.tgz - work well 100% of
the time with both of the WPA access points I have access to at the
moment. (Previously, one worked about half the time and the other not at
all - lxo incidentally the novatel mifi works great now).

Tonight I hope to test in the other environment I've seen yeeloong wifi
suck, locations with a bunch of different APs with the same essid (such
as college campuses).

For network-manager 0.7, make sure that none of your external network
interfaces (eth0, wlan0) are listed at all in your
/etc/network/interfaces file - if they are, 0.7 will not manage them.

The backport required no porting work, it's just compiled from the
lenny-backports sources.

If included in gnewsense (which I think it really needs to be, at least
on mipsel), we'll want to verify / make sure that nothing other than the
loopback interface gets stuck in /etc/network/interfaces on a clean install.

Woo-hoo, working wifi! :-)

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny