linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote and -2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Wed Dec 16 17:01:20 UTC 2009

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2009, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva-3d8yaqT+vUfYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> It is now time to announce 2.6.32.1-libre and 2.6.31.8-libre2.
>
>> Corresponding gNewSense/mipsel (Lemote Yeeloong) [...]
>> are underway.
>
> They're now available from the apt repository at
>
> deb http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense metad main
>
> Once you set it up in sources.list, you'll be able to do:
>
> # apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote \
>                   linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote
>
> Now, beware: 2.6.32.* kernels require you to add machtype=8.9 in the
> boot command line in order to deal with lemote yeeloong laptops
> properly, as in, reporting battery, powering off, and probably more.

lxo, can we get a -2 2.6.32 build with these changes (assuming you think
they are fine; you know *a lot* more about linux building than I do :-)

*** Bluetooth support. Already mostly on in lxo's linux-libre build,
just wondering if perhaps these should be compiled as modules as well.
# CONFIG_BT_HCIBTSDIO is not set
# CONFIG_BT_HCIUART is not set
# CONFIG_BT_HCIBCM203X is not set
# CONFIG_BT_HCIBPA10X is not set
# CONFIG_BT_MRVL is not set

*** Builds ath5k and ath9k support as modules. I'm not sure it's
possible to get these devices in USB form factor, but having them around
as modules seemed harmless.
+CONFIG_ATH_COMMON=m
+CONFIG_ATH5K=m
+CONFIG_ATH9K=m

*** Build ath9k USB support - we actually have one of these and I will
be testing it again soon; it wouldn't work with the .30 linux. Note that
AR9170 does have firmware you need to download, but it is claimed that
the firmware is free software - see
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170.fw
"""
This page is for the ar9170 open firmware. ar9170.fw is the firmware for
the Atheros 802.11n USB chipset (AR9170). It was released by Atheros
under the GPLv2 License with a lot of contributions made by the
community. The firmware is maintained by the community.
"""
+CONFIG_AR9170_USB=m
+CONFIG_AR9170_LEDS=y

*** For the RT2500 USB wifi adapter, the oldest USB adapter we know uses
only free software to drive it.
+CONFIG_RT2X00=m
+CONFIG_RT2500USB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_USB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_CRYPTO=y
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_RFKILL=y
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_LEDS=y

*** Support debugging of external USB keyboards (we are having a problem
with a USB2 keyboard)
+CONFIG_HID_DEBUG=y

*** Support external USB keyboards and mice
+CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
+CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m

Thanks,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny