Helping linux fix things

Nick linux-libre-list at njw.me.uk
Sun Aug 23 20:33:06 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

Over the past week or so I've been thinking about how best to get
libre kernels in the long term. I think the linux-libre kernel is a
good start, as it's great to be able to point interested people to.

However as we know a lot of hardware doesn't work with it at
present, as the parts it removes are needed for many things to work
correctly.

At the moment the deblob script at the core of linux-libre is
largely destructive, that is it finds and removes the parts of linux
we consider nonfree, leaving us with a (hopefully) fully free
kernel.

I think we can use the output from the script into a more
constructive dialogue, by having it point to specific non-free parts
of linux for us.

I propose we use a wiki (a category on libreplanet?) to document
each of these problematic sections. This could then be a really
useful resource for kernel hackers to find and solve each problem
area. Roughly speaking, pages should try to include the following
sections (we don't have to create them all at once of course, can
start out with stubs and gradually add this):

 - Where in the kernel tree the offending part is
 - What it does
 - Where it originated
 - Who's responsible for the driver / subsystem

There seem to be quite a few kernel hackers who'd be willing to help
fix problems, but the kernel community in general don't want a
reduction in the functionality of the kernel, so we need to help
them deal constructively with each issue.

It will take some time, and the kernel will not get rid of the parts
we object to overnight. However if we can help to provide
replacements for each part, we can gradually be part of ensuring the
kernel is responsive to all of our needs, and respects the freedom
of everyone. Sound familiar to those of you who know the history of
the GNU project?

I'm going to be very busy for the next week or so, but after then
I'd be delighted to help start such an initiative.

I look forward to hearing from people.

Sincerely,

Nick White

--
GPG : 0x04E4653F           9732D7C7A441D79EFDF094F61F48567404E4653F