[Team] [GNU-linux-libre] naming the Linux-libre artwork

Steven DuBois sdubois92 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:36:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:04:04PM -0400, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>     Would it make sense to rename this project to, say Librenux, which
>     hopefully doesn't have this problem in Spanish, and that would rather
>     sound a bit like  Free us! ?
>
> This would have very bad effects in other ways.
> We don't want to present this as something different from Linux.
> We want to present it as our version of Linux.
>
> I suggest contrasting "Linux Libre" with "Linux normal" or with "el
> Linux de Torvalds".  "Nuestra versi??n de Linux llamamos Linux Libre."

I thuroghly agree at that we should keep the name Linux-libre, but
this discussion does beg one to ask the question, what about the name
GNU/Linux? Should we call a wholy free GNU system with the Linux-libre
kernel, GNU/Linux-libre? I have been thinking about this for a while,
and I have yet to develop a fully formed opinion on the issue. I would
like to hear the input of the developers and other users on this matter.

--
Steven DuBois
http://sdubois92.ath.cx