[GNU-linux-libre] naming the Linux-libre artwork

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Sat Apr 18 23:18:51 UTC 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, Quiliro Ordóñez <quiliro at gmail.com> wrote:

> It was very nice today to install Trisquel on the first site of FLISoL that
> was 100% free.

Let me take this opportunity to congratulate you personally for all the
effort you put into achieving this major victory.  I could appreciate
myself all the difficulty in trying to steer FLISOL, the largest Free
Software Install Fest in the world, distributed over 200+ cities in
Latin America, towards installing only Free Software.  Thank you for
making it happen on at least one site!

> Today I realized it was very difficult to explain that this distro
> has another kernel.

Hmm...  Interesting.  I hadn't realized that the fact that Linux-libre,
spoken in Spanish, might come across as “Linux, which is Free”.

> It would be easier have another name for the kernel.

Would it make sense to rename this project to, say Librenux, which
hopefully doesn't have this problem in Spanish, and that would rather
sound a bit like “Free us!”?

> It would be nice to use the names proposed for the linux-libre pet.

I'm not sure it's good to have this overlap.

Anyhow...  I just thought of a few other names for our pet, but it will
take some artistic work:

http://www.quickbabynames.com/meaning-of-Freeda.html

  The name Freeda has the following meaning:

  One who is peaceful.

Hmm...  Fitting, but not ideal.

http://www.quickbabynames.com/meaning-of-Libbey.html

  Freedom. It is unusual for this name to be used in times of peace and
  prosperity. Instead, this name tends to be used during revolutionary
  periods.

Sounds good, huh? :-)

Libby would work, too, but it's already taken in the free software
namespace for an implementation of the BASIC language.

Can anyone turn the Freetz drawing into that of a female penguin?

(And how does one tell a female penguin from a male one, anyway? :-)

If we stick to a male penguin, we could name him Freesko

http://www.quickbabynames.com/meaning-of-Frisko.html

  A man from France; one who is free.