[Legales] Re: [FSFLA-Traductores] http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/brussels-rms-transcript

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva en fsfla.org
Mar Mayo 1 13:27:05 UTC 2007

On May  1, 2007, "Fernanda G Weiden" <fernanda en softwarelivre.org> wrote:

> 2007/5/1, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva en fsfla.org>:
>> Would anyone like to do that on behalf of FSFLA?

> I think this sounds much paranoia to me.

Legal concerns are unfortunately like that :-(

> There is no explicit note saying that the text translated would
> belong to the engine.

There doesn't have to be.

> First of all because the copyright holder of the original work
> (specialy in RMS speeches) says that you can only do verbatim copies.
> So, the translator do not have the permission to translate in the
> first place, so nor even to request copyright on the result.

All this means is that whoever submits the text to the automated
translator can be a copyright infringer.

> Other thing is that even if we use the translator, we'll modify the
> text a lot to make it understandable, and it is most likely there
> will be no way to say which engine performed the original bits of
> translation.

As in, it's ok to commit a crime if nobody can possibly catch you? :-)

> I do not like the quality of the traslation, but I see no problems on
> using it. And I do not think we should be concerned about that.

We had reached a different conclusion last time we debated this topic,
but I think this is a change for better, so let's pursue this
possibility.

Let's just check with Pedro, who's more well-versed in legal issues
and is also part of the team who's legally responsible for FSFLA, and
our legales participants, to see what they think about using the
output of automated translators in the process of translating the
material we publish.

For context, the sub-thread started here:
http://fsfla.org/pipermail/traductores/2007-May/000638.html