[FSFLA] Our Internet, Our Future: Together We Can Protect the Internet for Today and Tomorrow

Esteban Ordóñez quiliro en riseup.net
Vie Dic 9 12:58:13 UTC 2022

El 2022-12-08 18:07, willi uebelherr escribió:
> Dear Andrew, dear friends,
>
> how can we secure an internet if we don't have an internet? Every time
> I discuss around ISOC, I ask this question.
>
> The name "Internet" comes from:
> The Inter-connection of local Net-works".
>
> This means that the constituent elements of an Internet are the local
> networks. And if these elements do not exist, then no Internet can
> exist. It is as simple as that.
>
> The task of an Interent: the transport of digital data in packet form.
> Nothing else.
>
> So it is a transport system. Everything we do with it is the
> application system and has nothing to do with transport directly. We
> use the transport system like roads and paths over arbitrary distances
> on our planet.
>
> The only requirement to be able to act act regionally and globally is
> the definition of a language for the transport information, which we
> call Internet protocol.
>
> The purpose is to allow 2 arbitrary end nodes, clients or servers, to
> communicate with each other if both want to do it. This eliminates any
> kind of third party intervention. Here private or state constructs.
>
> If the free communication over telecommunication is hindered or
> blocked, then these are always private or state constructs. But they
> have no place in this sphere of communication.
>
> Dear Andrew, your concerns are also very understandable for me. But,
> you are following a wrong focus.
>
> with kind regards, willi
> Asuncion, Paraguay

Dear Willi:

I do agree with you that what we have today is the star-net, not the
inter-net.  This restricts the property and control of the networks to
powerful entities, instead of giving it to the users.  Nevertheless, the
top levels of communication are also important.  The sequestration of
information, the control of users' machines and the intermediation of
other state and non-state cartels between the users is even more
dangerous than the property of the networks.  This is done every day by
web applications and phone applications without the users even caring.
Users unkowingly accept to be used against other users.  People just
don't care about how their power is used to harm.  They don't even think
about it.  The only solution is to remove the software from the
browsing; remove ECMAScript (Javascript).

Greetings,
Esteban Ordóñez