[FSFLA] Hiperbola: A fully free, stable, secure, simple, lightweight and long-term distribution

Eder L. Marques eder en edermarques.net
Jue Mayo 25 17:55:17 UTC 2017

 >> Hey! this sounds good! But the first thing I thought is what
happened
 >> with Parabola? How is Hyperbola different from Parabola? I mean,
what
 >> is the motivation to create yet another distro instead of
colaborate
 >> with an existing (and already FSF approved) one?

 >It is because of different objectives of the projects and some
personal problems between devs caused by someone external to Parabola.
I hope some day they merge. It is very > >probable because of very the
similar tools they use and how complementary they are.

Hi team,

I saw this happening several times, and although I am not a active
contributor I would like to add my 0.02 to this thread.

Why do we need yet another gnu-linux[-libre] distribution?

IMHO, in order for a distro to meet security and privacy standards
there is a huge effort to be done. Outdated distros, or not so fast
updated, are a considerable problem. Not saying that
Hyperbola/Parabola are/will be, but history has tons of examples.

Why not to use a standard distro and build a 'freedom-filter' on top
of it? Or alternative packages?

Every time we create a new distro we make the lives of users harder.

If Debian can have the linux-libre kernel from FSFLA (or even the use
of the standard Debian kernel without the blobs), and if we can advise
the users to use only the main repo as much as they can, what is the
big issue?

Because if the answer is that Debian does not respect the 4 freedoms
that is very inaccurate.
If is because Debian has (even though is not part of the project) a
non-free repo, why we don't advise the users about alternatives?

A good effort, that will take less hours than maintain a distro, is to
create a map that for each package is maintained at debian non-free
repo, what would be the alternatives?
Then, if the alternatives are not in the main/contrib repo, one can
package it.

As there is a lot of messages/threads on the list about how to start
acting, I believe that it would be a great step. :)

Cheers,

Eder 'frolic' marques