[FSFLA] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Transit is dead - and the Internet privatised

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr en riseup.net
Vie Mar 17 20:04:00 UTC 2017

Dear friends,

in the Internet Policy list from ISOC (Internet Sciety) i received this
email from parminder from India. The original text ist:

The Internet's Gilded Age
Geoff Huston, 03.2017
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2017-03/gilding.html

I think, it is important for us to understand, what is going on.

many greetings, willi

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Internet Policy] Transit is dead - and the Internet privatised
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 13:09:25 +0530
From: parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
To: internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

"At Apricot 2017 two weeks back, APNIC chief scientist Geoff Huston
delivered a scathing, dystopian snapshot on how the telecoms industry
has evolved from a public peer-to-peer service - where people had the
right to access

telecommunications - to a pack of content delivery networks where the
rules are written by a handful of content owners, ignoring any concept
of national sovereignty."

For a summary of that presentation, see:

https://disruptive.asia/transit-dead-content-literally-rules/

This should concern ISOC and this group. We are talking about the very
fundamentals of this thing called the "Internet". We cannot keep
assuming it is still the same, as it used to be, when all the nice
things got said about it, and anything against was blasphemy. But the
problem is that there has emerged an Internet ideology and Internet
community that simply refused to see the writing on the wall, and in the
process is causing huge damage to public interest.

parminder