[FSFLA] [Internet Policy] The Myth? of analytics

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr en riseup.net
Mar Feb 7 17:34:06 UTC 2017

Dear friends,

many thanks for all this fantastic contributions in this thematic. I
will write now some thoughts.

We aggree, that if technical possibilities exist for data capture for
surveillance and analytics, this is used. And mostly in the hidden space.

In our discussion, we are mostly focused to the hosts on the endpoints.
We and any companies. But the space also includes the ways between. And
the largest part of the data capture takes place there.

We can separate, and some do it, the state surveillance and the business
driven analytics. The methods are very similar. The goals perhaps are
different. But i think, we should forget this. The state activities need
the data analytics and the business activities need the state
surveillance and his permissions.

But we have a more general space. The most people like to act open. They
like to can have trust. They like to act on an easy way. They don't like
to always think about, what can go on in the hidden space and how i can
go around.

Contrary we find a big overloaded discussion in political and internet
related structures about data protection and privacy. Louis Pouzin wrote
very simple and very clear in this list:

On 27/01/2017 09:11, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
 > Dear all,
 >
 > In a nutshell: to be on the safe side,
 > - don't travel to USA
 > - don't travel to countries of the Five Eyes (USA, UK, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand)
 > - don't use proprietary products or services provided by US firms or
their affiliates
 > - use open-source software
 > - use encryption when exchanging mail, documents, software
 > - fill unessential items with bogus data in collection forms
 >
 > Yes, it's a hard life.
 > Louis

It is a move from the system to the people as users. We never can trust
the system. And this means the constructed telecommunication based on
her technical definitions.

In the ISOC and some actors from this group we find the argumentation,
that we, from ISOC, have the responsibility to create a
telecommunication, where the people, they don't like to make all this
technical task, can trust.

In my first experience 2014 in 1net.org from NetMundial/Brasil i was
confront with the same illusionary debate about the surface and the
reaction to the results.

The core is, that from the beginning of the development of the
"Internet" there existed an essential principle: It have to be private.
Based on that, the state organisations have always the concentrated
access. And the infrastructure then is strong centralised, what it makes
it easy to access the data flows.

Following all technical definitions are based on that principle. And
now, after 50 years, we see and have the results.

But the core for me itself is not primary the hidden data captures. It
is much more the big nonsense in the infrastructure of the
telecommunication combined with a big blocking of simple and well
defined technical systems, that are oriented to telecommunication.

many greetings, willi
Asuncion, Paraguay