Issue with 6.1.8

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Sun Mar 12 20:14:30 UTC 2023

On Mar 12, 2023, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

>> Now, I'd appreciate if either (or both) of yu could confirm whether the
>> workaround does it indeed work around the issue.  Meanwhile, I'll try to
>> find a way to change the code so that it doesn't fail us, that can fit
>> in our cleaning-up scripts.

> So, for avalos the i915.huc_firmware_path setting did not work around
> the problem, but maybe i915.guc_firmware_path will.

It did, but it was a workaround, not a fix: it ended up disabling the
GPU acceleration, because setting these options turns a firmware load
failure into an initialization error.

> Here's a patch that should avoid looping forever in both HuC and GuC

avalos confirmed it fixed the problem without the undesirable side
effect of the woraround, so I've prepared a patch for our cleaning up
scripts, for the next 6.1.x-gnu and 6.2.x-gnu stable releases, and
submitted the improvement upstream.

https://lore.kernel.org/stable/orjzzlhhg8.fsf@lxoliva.fsfla.org/T/#u

Thanks to avalos and to Wicki for their information, cooperation, and
understanding as we tried to figured it out,

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                       GNU Toolchain Engineer