Contributing

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Wed Apr 19 05:48:37 UTC 2023

On 4/16/23 19:21, Echedey Lopez Romero wrote:
> On April 16, 2023 4:36:27 PM GMT+01:00, Benson Muite <benson_muite at emailplus.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Do you have any RISC-V computers?
>>>
>> LicheePI RV Dock is an affordable entry point $6-$15, but may need
>> non-free drivers for typically included wifi and bluetooth.  It is
>> possible to get the D1 on its own and design a single board computer
>> around this.  Checking if this can be done easily.
>>
>> https://sipeed.aliexpress.com/store/group/Lichee-RV-DOCK/911876460_40000003140758.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.0.0.7bee62d9pTeGDo
>>>

> I think that MangoPi could be more also suitable for this.
>
> It is adjusted more to that price.
It is about twice the price $20~$30 but has more ports[1] and seems to
have libre wifi drivers[2,3]. Asus also has a tinker board for IoT
market, cannot find pricing but long life seems to be expected[4].
Modifying the design, for example changing the dock of the LiCheePI RV
seems possible [5,6].  A price point of $10 would have great impact for
education, especially if an entirely libre stack can be used.  For such
an application, device lifespan is also important.  Given the low power
use, a solar powered computer laboratory for schools in low income
countries seems feasible with lightweight terminals for students and a
more powerful single board coordinating server.

1) https://github.com/mangopi-sbc/MQ-Pro
2) https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723ds
3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers
4) https://tinker-board.asus.com/product/tinker-v.html