GNU Linux-libre 5.16-gnu

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Jan 10 02:40:02 UTC 2022

GNU Linux-libre 5.16-gnu cleaning-up scripts, cleaned-up sources, and
cleaning-up logs (including tarball signatures) are now available from
our git-based release archive git://linux-libre.fsfla.org/releases.git/
tags {scripts,sources,logs}/v5.16-gnu.

Compressed tarballs and incremental patches are also available at
<https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/releases/5.16-gnu/>.

Freesh and RPMFreedom, the .deb and .rpm distributions of GNU Linux-libre
maintained by Jason Self, will probably already have binaries of
5.16-gnu by the time you read this.  Thanks, Jason!

Cleaning up scripts haven't changed since rc6, the first -gnu prerelease
in this series.

Upstream introduced a firmware_request_builtin call, so we have
introduced an analogous firmware_reject_builtin function.  Cleanup
scripts used to have separate shell functions to disable
request_firmware and the _nowarn variant; these have now been unified
and extended to cover the _builtin variant, so scripts won't need
changes when upstream code switches between them.

New drivers for wifi, mt7921s and rtw89 (8852a), for touchscreen,
ili210x, for remoteproc, i.MX dsp, for audio, qdsp6, and for devicetree
files for aarch64 qcom variants, had blob requests inactivated and blob
names removed.

For up-to-the-minute news, join us on IRC (#gnu-linux-libre on
libera.chat), or follow me on P2P or federated social media (the link in
my signature has directions).

Be Free! with GNU Linux-libre.

What is GNU Linux-libre?
------------------------

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free version of the kernel Linux (see below),
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/

  If you are the author of an awesome program and want to join us in
  writing Free (libre) Software, please consider making it an official
  GNU program and become a GNU Maintainer.  You can find instructions
  on how to do so at https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.  We look
  forward to hacking with you! :)

What is Linux?

  Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel [...]

(snipped from Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst)

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                       GNU Toolchain Engineer