Potential nonfree code in Linux-libre

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Fri Aug 27 04:13:33 UTC 2021

On Aug 23, 2021, Legimet <legimet.calc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see that you've posted a message to the gnu-linux-libre mailing list;
> I'm fine with moving this discussion there.

I did not mean to move it there, just to consult with other people,
hoping to find answers for our questions.

I've grown convinced that vs6624_p1 and patch_* in micropatch.c encode
sourceless software, and therefore they shouldn't have been retained.

I have NOT yet fixed this problem in today's batch of -gnu releases, but
I will respin -gnu1 fixed versions, and the upcoming 5.14-gnu will have
the fixes when it comes out.

Thank you very much for drawing my attention to it, and for your
persistence.  It was invaluable to help me overcoming my taking
gNewSense's decisions as ground truth.

Opinions on arch/parisc/kernel/perf_images.h, anyone?
These fragments have a regularity to them that doesn't suggest code,
but despite the GPL applied to the file, there's a claim that it was all
borrowed from HP-UX, which might be a reason to remove it.

cx11646_fw1 in drivers/media/video/usb/gspca/conex.c may very well
contain 64 bytes of code in the middle column.  I've left it in because
it's small enough as to be believable that another source form does not
exist.  It's the most borderline case we have, I believe.

I welcome opinions, ideally no later than Saturday, so that they can be
taken into account for 5.14-gnu, and for the respins out of earlier
release branches.

Thanks in advance,

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                       GNU Toolchain Engineer