Kernel download site structure

Antonio Grassi agrassic at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 17:21:41 UTC 2010

Hello list. I'm working on the LibreWRT project [1] whish is based on
OpenWRT [2]

The idea is to create an OpenWRT variant that would use only libre software.
OpenWRT is composed of a bunch of scripts that download the kernel and the
base system sources and compiles everything, producing a disk image.
Different kernel versions are used for different target architectures.

As part of this work, we added a build option. When set, the kernel to
download and compile should be Linux-Libre instead of the blobbed one. I
made a POC which worked ok, and now I'm working on a clean patch to submit
upstream to OpenWRT.

The patch should ideally just change the URL used to download the kernel,
but this seems a bit hard, 'cause the directory structure & naming differs
between kernel.org and Libre Linux. Even worse, I see that some releases end
in -libre, others in libre-1, libre-2, etc

So I'm writing to the list to know if there's a logic behind the naming
scheme of Linux Libre, so that I can determine which is the folder and the
name of the tarball that should be used for a given version. E.g. if kernel
version is 2.6.32.14 how to know I should
download 2.6.32.14-libre1/linux-2.6.32.14-libre1.tar.bz2 ?

I'm also curious about the reasons for not mirroring the
kernel.orgdirectory & naming conventions, could someone illustrate me
about this?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

[1] http://librewrt.org