Breakage Caused By Deblob Script?

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Fri Feb 26 03:47:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:15:59 -0300
Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2010, Jason Self <jason.self at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Then I grab deblob-2.6.30 and deblob-check from
> > http://www.fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/software/linux-libre/scripts/
> > although delob-2.6.30 dies, complaining that a number of different
> > firmware pieces are missing.
>
> This means the source tree you're starting from is sufficiently
> different from kernel.org's 2.6.30 that adjustments might be in order.
>
> The “bpo”, that I take as backports, may indicate that, in addition to

Thats correct.

> some firmware files having already been removed by Debian, there may
> be other changes brought in from newer kernel releases, which might

Its a backport of a kernel made up in Debian, so its been dfsg'd, and
probably had numerous patches applied.

> require porting corresponding fixes from newer deblob-<kver> scripts.

Jason,
debian/patches in the source package should list all the patches from
debian to the upstream source.

> > I believe that this is one of the drivers that were deblobbed so I'm
> > wondering if the deblob script is somehow introducing this breakage?

> Failing that, it might be that the backports actually made the sources
> so different from old and new kernel.org sources that you might have
> to adjust the deblobbing scripts, or fix-up the sources afterwards,
> whatever floats your boat ;-)

How hard is it to modify the deblob scripts? are they shell or perl?
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au