[FSFLA-Traductores] Re: [Team] [hfml@brfree.com.br: AP to Charge for 5 Word Quotations]

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva en fsfla.org
Vie Jul 4 19:42:08 UTC 2008

On Jul  3, 2008, "Luis Alberto" <l.guzman.g en gmail.com> wrote:

>> I need permission from the board to post this as an FSFLA announcement
>> or press release at fsfla.org (other than in my blog).

> Will it be translated it, into the different languages?

Probably not that bit, but I'm trying to write an actual press release
now.

It would be nice to have quotes from activists to add to it, so please
send them my way.

The bill features:

- surveillance: network service providers are mandated to retain logs
about customers' connections, required to relay reports of suspected
crimes committed by its customers to authorities, and to share logs
with the authorities.

- pedophily: criminalization of reception and possession of images,
pictures or scenes depicting pornography or explicit sex, involving
children or adolescents (sub-18).  Other activities involving these
images (selling, producing, etc) are already crimes.

- malware: inserting or *propagating* it in computer networks becomes
a crime; if it grants unauthorized access to computer systems, it
becomes more serious; destroying data or publishing private
information are crimes already, but if malware does these things, it's
even more serious.

- cracking: accessing computer systems without required permission,
and obtaining or transmitting data without required permission, become
crimes on their own.  Whether this actually overlaps with copyright
law and conflicts with fair use is unclear ("required" by whom?), but
it is certainly going to be abused by copyright holders to scare
people away from enjoying or fighting for fair use.

Thanks,