Questions about Linux-Libre's effectiveness

Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva pitanga at members.fsf.org
Fri Aug 19 21:28:32 UTC 2022

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 at 19:07, LUH LAH <welpthisdidnotwork at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying,
>

> I see. Thanks for reminding me of this.
>
> However, it seems quite foolish (to me) to disqualify Firefox solely
> because you "could" install non-free addons. I think that if I were to
> simply look on each developer's website (which Mozilla makes very
> easy), I could easily find out whether or not it's FLOSS.

One might just not have the time to "simply look on each [extension]
developer's website" to check that they are libre, just as you might not
have the time to check on every kernel bit and every libre android app that
might offer non-free bits.

We need completely free systems, from kernel to browser to whatnot, and in
order to have systems we can trust means we must be able to share the
burden of "checking stuff" with others, and even delegating it altogether.
Of course, that comes with choices like having a not so fancy browser with
a not so fancy name (note that /Firefox/ is a trademark, and trademarks
have not much to do with copyright) that breaks one and other website and
"forbids" non-free extensions so that I can spare the time of not checking
every extension without guilt.

Someone has to set the north, and it is a very fair price that we pay for
freedom.