Potential nonfree code in Linux-libre

Jason Self jself at gnu.org
Sat Aug 28 15:47:22 UTC 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:03:19 -0300
Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

> If we don't, what are the risks?

Potential copyright action, as you say, but given that this appears to
have been in Linux for a long time without any such thing happening the
chances of that seem low. I wasn't really thinking or concerned with
that particular aspect anyway but more on the freedom side: If
something's free (or not) doesn't really depend on whether the
copyright holder enforces their copyright.

So the real matter that I was thinking on: Potentially shipping non-free
things. Maybe it would be helpful to dig through HP-UX at some point in
an attempt to get a better picture of the actual licensing on these
bits that seem to have been directly copied over but I don't have time
to do that just at this point. If you'd rather wait on removal until
something more concrete is available that seems fine by me but then
raises the other thing I was trying to balance in all this:

The potential risk of having to go back and potentially re-do this in
the future. And for a piece that likely no one is using anyway.