Proposed Architecture Removals

Jason Self j at jxself.org
Thu Jan 24 16:11:16 UTC 2019

I propose removal of 3 architectures from the freesh APT repository,
due to an apparent lack of use.

* powerpc - 32-bit and 64-bit big-endian PowerPC processors like the
603, 604, 750 (G3), 7400 (G4), PowerQUICC and 64-bit ones like 620,
POWER4, POWER5 and the 970 (G5) that have a 32-bit userland.

* ppc64 - 64-bit big-endian POWER4 and above with a 64-bit userland
(not to be confused with ppc64el which is litte-endian for POWER8 or
above.)

* s390x - z/Architecture, IBM's 64-bit instruction set architecture
implemented by its mainframe computers.

Any objections?

This wouldn't have be permanent though: If even one person wanted an
architecture supported (and used it) I'd be happy to keep it/add it
back. Until/unless that happens it seems that building kernels for
architectures with no usage seems a waste of time.

Architectures that would remain:

amd64
arm64
armhf