I.MX SDMA

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Thu Dec 5 19:19:51 UTC 2019

Hi,

In the linux-libre deblob script, the imx-sdma driver has
reject_firmware.

I was wondering what was the rationale behind it.

Is it because there the community sdma-firmware[1] is not free
software? Or is it because no one took the time yet to understand if
it's free software or not?

It was in my TODO list for years but I didn't find the time yet to
look into it in more details. I would probably need to track down
the source of the assembly (if it's under the GPL or not) and I would
probably need to spend more time to read the section on the SDMA in the
datasheets/reference manuals to understand if the assembly in it
constitutes source code.

Did somebody already do that?