Linux-Libre kernel

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sat May 12 09:48:25 UTC 2018

On Fri, 4 May 2018 23:34:58 +0100
Andrew Nesbit <ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org> wrote:

> On 04/05/2018 20:10, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
>
> > Depending on the people and the drivers involved, upstream may be
> > against making the driver work without a non-free firmware[3] for
> > some drivers, or, for other drivers, might want it to also work
> > without the firmware[4].
>
> Hi Denis, thanks for the explanation.  I am following this thread
> closely because I have many of the same questions.  I need to get a
> proper understanding of what linux-libre is all about.
>
> Were there supposed to be endnotes with references or citations for
> [3] and [4]?  They aren't included at the end of your message.
I forgot to add them.
[3] It was about Radeon driver but I didn't find a precise reference. I
    vaguely remember some text about it in their wiki, but It doesn't
    seem to be there anymore. So take that with a grain of salt.
[4] This is the I.MX SDMA driver for several I.MX SOCs, as shown by
    this commit:
    70dabaede806 dma: imx-sdma: Assign a default script number for ROM
    firmware cases
    "i.MX series have inner firmware in its ROM code: when SDMA isn't
    provided any firmware from Kernel or rootfs, the default inner ROM
    firmware will be activated." [...]

Denis.