GNU Linux-libre 4.5-gnu is now available

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Mar 14 22:49:57 UTC 2016

GNU Linux-libre 4.5-gnu sources and tarballs are now available at
<http://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/releases/4.5-gnu/>.
There were no deblobbing changes since -rc7-gnu.  Binaries are expected
to show up over the next few days.

Newly-deblobbed drivers in this release are qat_c3xxx, qat_c62x,
adf7242, goodix touchscreen, and Qualcomm WCNSS SOC.  Updated deblobbing
was required by radeon, nouveau, skylake sound, and XHCI rcar drivers.
Besides, there was plenty of code movement, especially within
drivers/net/wireless.

For up-to-the-minute news, join us on #linux-libre of irc.gnu.org
(Freenode), or follow me (@lxoliva) on Twister <http://twister.net.co/>
or pump.io <http://identi.ca/lxoliva/>.

Be Free! with GNU Linux-libre.

WHAT IS GNU Linux-libre?

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free version of the kernel Linux (see below),
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/

WHAT IS LINUX?

  Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel [...]

(snipped from the README in the source distribution of GNU Linux-libre)

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer