Radeon again, Was: Mainline Linux-libre for Chromebook pixel 2013?

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Tue Dec 1 16:17:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 00:23:51 -0200
Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

> > What is the state of affairs with the radeon patch?
>
> No change as far as I'm concerned.  I was still waiting for a patch
> for deblob-<kver> from you.
OK, I add that to my huge TODO list.
Right now I'm slowly recovering and doing shell scripts, so it will
probably be in one of my next things I'll do in my TODO list.

Right now, my only contribution in progress is to fix coreboot
reproducible builds when I have time for it and am in a state where
I can do it. Practically speaking, this means fixing a shell script.

> That said, IIRC your original patch touched only one of the various
> blob-loading files in the radeon drivers.  Was there any reason to not
> use the same logic in others?  I ask because I have no means to test
> this myself, due to lack of hardware; maybe you're in the same
> situation, but confirmation would be desirable.
Well, the patch was not meant to be merged as-is, it was made to prove
a point:
The radeon driver still works if we prevent it from bailing out when
no fimrware is used.

A real patch was made, not by me, from this "test", and the same logic
has been and should be applied to the other GPU handled by the radeon
driver.
That real patch has been applied to Jason Self kenrels and few/no user
complained, and most of feedbacks were positive.

However he should document how to get its benefit on Trisquel since
that's the main user base of his kenrels, and the radeon driver is
blacklisted there.

Denis.