GNU Linux-libre OS Build Book

Christian Bryant christian at gnulinuxlibre.org
Fri May 16 17:31:58 UTC 2014

Howdy,

The purpose of this email is two-fold:

1) I've snagged the domain gnulinuxlibre.org for a project I'm working
on now, a build and test infrastructure written in Emacs Lisp that
mirrors in some ways the Linux from Scratch project [1], but replaces
the Linux kernel with GNU Linux-libre and keeps the packages to mostly
the GNU OS and GPL'd software.  I currently have my domain forwarding to
the GNU Linux-libre web page (I hope that is OK) so that folks who don't
know the project but know me will be exposed to it.  Once I have my
Alpha release ready and the accompanying build book, I will move the
domain to my project page (unless I merge the work with an existing
project).  I hope I can update you at that time, and be listed under the
GNU Linux-libre project page as an "Other source of binaries".

2) I use gNewSense as my OS and do all my builds there.  While I
research other build projects out there to help flesh out my project, I
thought the best place to learn would be from the "source" at the GNU
Linux-libre project.  I was curious what type of help you may require
currently, from testing changes in build scripts to
review/maintenance/writing of GNU Linux-libre documentation.  Naturally,
with a full-time job and a project of my own, I'm looking for small
tasks, BUT haven't excluded the possibility that what I learn from GNU
Linux-libre could open an opportunity to merge any build scripting work
I do into the GNU Linux-libre tool set (how ever many years it takes to
complete).  My LibrePlanet page is listed in my signature for more
information.

Thanks for GNU Linux-libre - I think I've mentioned this to folks
involved with the project before but it has totally transformed my
approach to GNU/Linux and where I want to take my computing moving
forward, both at work and at home.  It's a brand GNU world!

[1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

--
Cheers,

Christian Bryant