GNU Linux-libre 3.11: Linux for freedom-loving Workgroups

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Tue Sep 3 00:16:33 UTC 2013

GNU Linux-libre 3.11-gnu source tarballs and patches from 3.10-gnu and
the 3.11-rc7-gnu release candidate are now available at
http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/3.11-gnu/ and
mirrors.  http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/#mirrors

As usual, upstream introduced new drivers that request non-Free
Software, and modified other drivers so as to request additional
non-Free programs, or newer versions of previously-requested ones.
These requests are disabled in 3.11-gnu.  However, our goal is not to
keep users from running these programs, but rather to avoid asking users
to install and use non-Free Software.  We regard this limitation of the
current implementation as a bug, and a fix that enables firmware to be
loaded without inducing users to install non-Free Software is expected
in a future release.

Join us on irc.gnu.org AKA FreeNode, #Linux-libre channel, or follow
@lxoliva at identi.ca <https://identi.ca/lxoliva> for up-to-the minute news
about GNU Linux-libre.

WHAT IS GNU Linux-libre?

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free distribution of the kernel Linux,
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/