free kernel and 3d graphics acceleration

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Mon Oct 1 19:00:27 UTC 2012

> ... or, given that the binary is released under a Free Software license,
> recovering sources through reverse engineering!  I don't know of anyone
> working on that for Radeon, unfortunately.

As a user of Nouveau I think this might be the most practical approach
(I don't know any other driver where blobs were dropped for reasons
other than removal of the driver).

Not all Radeon firmware binaries are freely licensed: most of the newer
ones have a nonfree license that e.g. forbids reverse engineering (I
don't know how enforceable it is).  Only GPUs older than R600 (from
2006) work completely without separate firmware from the linux-firmware
repository.