Linux-image for YeeLoong without initrd support

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:48:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm using this guide [1] to install gNewSense Parkes to Lemote YeeLoong.

I haven't found the right image in gNewSense's repo; that's why I
tried to use this one [2].

The following message appeared when I was trying to install it via "dpkg -i":

"You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
3.5.2-gnu) This will not work unless you have configured your boot
loader to use initrd..."

I've been told that "initrd support doesn't prevent booting the kernel
without initrd."
Is this correct?

I guess that this image [2] won't boot without initrd.
(Deps: initramfs-tools, linux-initramfs-tool, yaird.)
Am I right?

I've also heard that initrd slows the boot time. That's why I don't
want to use it.
There is another reason to avoid initrd: Parkes doesn't have Yaird in
the repo because Parkes is based on Squeeze. So I'll have to install
it from Debian's sid; which may lead to unresolved deps and/or
non-free packages in my system.

Where can I find the image that will work without initrd?

[1] http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/DebootstrappingGNewSense3
[2] http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense/pool/linux-image-3.5.2-gnu_0loongsonlibre_mipsel.deb

Thanks