DABUSB firmware source code has been released this week

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Jan 3 22:56:23 UTC 2011

On Jan  3, 2011, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org> wrote:

> Well... right now nothing changes for LinuxLibre because the device
> remains non-free (it depends on 2 firmware images: one - the 8051 code
> - now has source code available but the other - the fpga configuration
> bitstream - doen't yet).

If one of them is definitely Free, then it would be nice for Linux-libre
to stop disabling the request for it, and maybe to keep the binary file
(depending on the license).  But I'm still not sure: are the sources you
got the corresponding sources for the binary in the Linux tree?

> This out-of-tree code is from 2010 and is said to work with the device
> while the mainline tree code is 10 years old.

Well, then now I know, it's not corresponding sources, and the version
in Linux remains non-Free.

Now, once there are source and binary in say the linux-firmware
repository, under a suitable Free Software license, I'd probably change
the request so it's not disabled any more.

> The only practical thing to do is to get their new driver code into
> mainline

Oh, the updated firmware file requires a new driver, too?  If that's
true, the right thing to do would be to treat the request for the old
firmware like the request for any other non-Free firmware file.