PCMCIA .cis files

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Jan 3 19:47:31 UTC 2011

On Jan  3, 2011, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

>     I've just tested that it is possible to load some specific PCMCIA socket
>     driver on a machine that doesn't have any PCMCIA interfaces, but I don't
>     think I can even build the ancient 2.4-ish pcmcia module with a current
>     kernel, let alone run it :-(

> So it sounds like you are saying that the current 2.6.12 pcmcia module
> does use these files sometimes (for devices that give erroneous info),
> but doesn't support the conversion binary to text at all.

> Is that correct?

Yeah, I believe so.  I'm not sure the current pcmcia driver doesn't
really offer the interface the userland program that makes the
conversion relies on, or if it only fails to do so on a machine that
doesn't have a pcmcia interface, but the important point is that it's
definitely not functional on any random machine.