linux-libre and openwrt

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Fri Mar 5 01:33:03 UTC 2010

On 03/02/2010 06:33 AM, Daniel Clark wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 09:31 AM, cristian paul peñaranda rojas wrote:
>> I wonder is somebody already tried deblobing linux kernel for OpenWrt?
>
> Not that I know of, although I'll be trying to do so before LibrePlanet
> for the Ben Nanonote - Sam Geeraerts (of gNewSense) is also interested:
>
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/developer/2010-February/002101.html
>
> I have some extra Ben Nanonotes if anyone wants to hack on this / test
> their work before or during LibrePlanet. The other place this would be
> of obvious use would be for ath9k wifi routers. One of the Trendnet ones
> is down to $25 now :-)

FYI started looking at this today - so far seems like it will be much
easier than gNewSense, as the build system is set up to produce variants.

The only thing that looks like it might be annoying w.r.t. FSF
guidelines so far is making the whole distro self-hosting (OpenWrt
assumes you'll be cross-compiling from x86/amd64, at least in doc I've
seen so far).

Putting my notes and eventually scripts / diffs / etc up at
http://librewrt.freedsoftware.org - email me off-list or ping me on irc
with your preferred username if you'd like to collaborate for now.

Happy Hacking,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark