Realtek 8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet disappears in 2.6.33 deblob?

wayne wayne at in-giro.org
Fri Jun 25 13:33:09 UTC 2010

Il giorno gio, 24/06/2010 alle 23.38 +0400, Dmitry Samoyloff ha scritto:
> At Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:59:31 +0200,
> wayne  wrote:
> > > Hello Wayne,
> > >
> > > It seems to me like your Gentoo kernel is not deblobbed correctly, just like
> > > gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r1 for me with deblob-2.6.34 script. Instead of removing
> > > the Realtek's blob, it removes the whole source file. If you download the
> > > deblobbed Linux from [1], you'd probably get your Realtek chip working. My
> > > ethernet works OK with the deblobbed driver:
> > >
> > > # lspci | grep -i realtek
> > > 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
> >
> > ahoy Dmitry,
> >
> > 	thanks for the response.  actually, even though the device is not
> > working, it is showing up in lspci output.  i am not sure if this means
> > that drive is loaded, but some other problem is causing it not to work,
> > or only that the kernel recognizes the hardware.
>
> To check if the driver is present on your system at all, try modprobe -l:
>
>   # modprobe -l r8169
>   /lib/modules/2.6.34-libre/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko
>
> To check if it's loaded, check the lsmod output:
>
>   # lsmod | grep r8169
>   r8169                  25460  0
>   mii                     2960  1 r8169
>
> I've got the foregoing output in Gentoo with the vanilla Linux from FSFLA
> server. When I tried to build gentoo-sources with "deblob" USE flag turned on,
> the driver wasn't built at all. AFAIR there were error messages from the
> deblobbing script also.

	thanks Dmitry.  i have not tried the vanilla Linux from FSFLA but the
driver is not in any of the kernels that were deblob'd with the Gentoo
deblob USE flag.  looks like the driver is not getting built at all.

> > PS.  is this a bug that we should submit somewhere in FSFLA?  or it is a
> > problem with the Gentoo deblob USE flag?
>
> I think this behavior should be reported to the Gentoo Linux-libre
> maintainers.

	since you already posted this discussion to the linux-libre mailing
list, is that enough?  or should i submit a bug report somewhere?

thanks again.

peace, w

--
http://wayne.in-giro.org